Old February 3rd 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Colorado snowfall so far this year

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 7:49:26 AM UTC-8, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/2/15 8:33 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I've gone 5 times this season. One excellent, two miserable, one sucky
and two meh.

(That's six...)

I've got about 15 days, not very interesting days; not enough natural to
support off-piste. But snow-making has kept the groomers open with good
coverage top to bottom and skiing is there.

It's interesting that the rank and file, who only ski the groomers
anyway, are the ones claiming hysterically NO SNOW while the rest of us
practice our carves and slalom turns while awaiting the dissipation of
the off-shore high.

I went ZERO days last season due to a coincidence of negative factors and I have had zero temptation to go so far this season. That was after a three-year stretch that was the best and busiest three years of my skiing life.

As for the off-shore high - usually this time of year the west coast gets hit by storms that originate in the Gulf of Alaska and sweep northwest to southeast. This year the G of A storms just seem to be spinning in place while the weather comes up from the southwest, heading generally northeast. What with the drought and the local watering restrictions, I am watching a good deal of my yard change over from forced tropical to its natural dry brush state.