Old December 10th 03, 11:13 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Carbo Feeds When Training?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:46:05 GMT, "Gary Jacobson"
After the eight weeks, new biopsies showed that the group that used

only
water had substantially more important enzymes for the burning of

fat. So in
race conditions, the water consuming group could better utilize the

two
available fuel sources, sugar and fat.

These specific findings don't surprise me.

But the key question is, which was able to actually go faster? The
problem with training on no carbs or low carbs is that the quality of
training is reduced. It's hard to workout as intensely.

I think there is some value of not relying on sugar all the time in
training -- perhaps in certain types of workouts or certain times in
workouts (like early in endurance workouts) or even in certain periods
of training -- like in a base-building period. Or if trying to lose
weight. But if you're not keeping the stores of carbohydrate in your
body topped off, you're going to have a hard time training intensely.
Which is bad.

JT