Old April 3rd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Eugene Miya

Default Sledge, Pulk?

People trying solo traversals
horizontally carrying ladders or long strong poles (and back packs). The
advantage on temperate/continental glaciers unlike ice sheets is that
you have an idea of flow direction and some sense (but not always) how
crevasses run (rememeber: not always like bends/turns).

In article ,
Bernd Nebendahl wrote:
I have also read (source?) that some people use two long poles that are put

Likely Tejas and others.
together to form a cross and attach this to their hips, so you don't have to
worry about the directions of the crevasses (as long as the crevasses are
not bigger than the cross). However I have a hard time imaging how help
yourself once such a cross has stopped you from falling (remember you are
still soloing).

One presumes one doesn't always punch all the way through
(figure that most of the time you are toast [Simpson being a rare exception]).
You'd have many of the same problems breaking thru lakes except
snow bridges are weaker than lake ice, and you don't get any buoyant
advantages with air below your feet.

The problem is figuring out how long to make the poles. Longer - heavier,
so it's just another part of the knapsack problem.

This is why Messner doesn't like soloing across crevasse fields. But he
does it (w/o any of this).