Old February 10th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default Good shoulder PT for skiers?

PS: It seems that the shoulder injury I recently got from just
slipping when I was standing on my skis hasn't affected my skiing. It
hurts in a range of motion that the poling action doesn't seem to
involve. I skied 1.5 robust hrs today without noticing anything. Altho
if I sit and scrunch my shoulders I can make a pain occur. So
something got tweaked but poling doesn't bother it.

My complaints aren't bad enough to warrant going to the doc at this
point---but I'm interested in preventative measures.

I googled some and found serious info---but it all spun over to either
tennis or baseball pitching. But in general it seemed to involve
conditioning in all directions---so maybe I'll just try that. I think
I can do such motions with my TheraBand elastics---maybe I just need
to brush up on my core or on motions that aren't dominantly used in
poling---I'm sure those are fine.

I mentioned XC specifics as I've noticed that I seem to have fine
shoulder mobility, strength, etc.---but, as I said, sometimes I notice
weakness/soreness when pulling a t-shirt off. Maybe that's a standard
shoulder issue---but it seems to flare up during ski season. So I was
wondering if anyone knew how that kind of weakness relates to XC and
how it might be a problem and how to fix it.

Also, if I keep up on all-round strengthening (not just going skiing!)
maybe I won't be as likely to get hurt when I just slip'n'fall. Ugh!

--JP