Old January 10th 05, 01:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, ant penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote
After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning and they're weak
enough that I worry about being able to make turns well.

A very common problem. Get a recommendation for whatever area you ski at,
and get a lesson with the person recommended. You are using your quads to
support you, rather than using bones and efficient balance. Your muscles can
only do this for so long, then they clag out on you. Correct dynamic balance
is the fundamental, foundation skill in skiing. Without it, you are always
fighting a battle that is un-necessary.

Most skiiers I see are either too much in the backseat, or crouched down too
much. Both are murder on the quadriceps.

Get a lesson (from somone who is recommended).

I have a friend who was a ski instructor and, before that, on the
developmental ski team. She's had some knee troubles and can't ski the "good
stuff" anymore, but she can ski blue groomers. I wonder if I could ask her to
spend a day with me on a blue, working on this kind of stuff.

Private lessons are rather expensive; group lessons often end up being only
partially useful, and of course I get less direct attention.

--
monique
Longmont, CO