Old January 20th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

Default What are typical low end temperatures for XC?

On Jan 20, 6:42*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

In any case, what is the coldest typical daytime temperature that
those of you in other parts of the country or world typically ski at?

place where the high today was predicted to be about 0F.

I raced today (3 x 2.5K loop) where JT was (probably) headed - we had
a high of about 7 deg F w/ surprisingly no wind. Everyone I saw was
dressed correctly, so the cold temps didn't seem to bother too many
people. We had a long, fast downhill to negotiate and I'm glad I had
a balaclava on.

What you might want to keep in mind is how frustrating skiing
sometimes is at low temps. Unless your skis are structured and waxed
perfectly, It can be like skiing in sand! Classic skiing at these
temps is the way to go!

- Bob