Old January 31st 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_5_]

Default Who wrote this?

On 31/01/2020 17:44, Eviel Dewar wrote:
On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:01:04 AM UTC-5, Ted wrote:

"Grabbed a ride on a supply chopper.
Weather socked in."

He's borrowing lingo from ski mountains, lol.

I think you'll find that we skiers borrowed the phrase socked in from
aviation actually. Merriam-Webster records the first usage as 1944 and
it refers to fog or or weather that prevents flying, not just snow. I
certainly heard it when I started flying in the 60s in the UK. Possibly
derived from the wind-sock which in the early days you had to be able to
see to be able to land...

Apart from that the rest is 100% pure undiluted BS.