Old January 23rd 04, 06:11 PM
Jason Watkins

Default Most palmer boards top out at 165 length. WHY?

Wrong. Greater weight means more G force in turns which means more
lateral force on the snow. A longer edge can provide more lateral
resistance.

To be picky, accelleration (g) in a balanced, carved turn is
determined purely by inclination. To keep balanced you have to trade
angulation, speed and turn radius for eachother. The other terms,
including weight, cancel out.

However, given a constant effective edge, varying weight would vary
lateral pressure per unit edge length. I've got no clue what snow's
deformation function is like, but I'd assume it's very complex and
there's some critical pressure where the snow will break free instead
of just compressing down and letting you stick your edge. So longer
length will give you better edge hold, and the more you weigh the
longer you'll have to go to avoid overpressuring soft snow.

I think I've got that all right. You can play with nate w's calculator
(www.natew.com) to see what I mean.

God I'm a geek, and I should definately get back to work.