Old December 20th 04, 01:32 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-19, William penned:
I will be in Summit County for New Year's week. Primarily Breckenridge.
Any advice for our trip?

Maybe ...

Should we definitely be planning on a day at A Basin? Never skiied there.

Hard to answer without knowing the type of terrain you like. Most of the
(in)famous stuff at A-Basin is currently closed. Of course, a lot can happen
in two weeks ...

A-Basin is really friggin' cold and windy. Because it's so cold, it often has
better snow than the sunnier ski areas. Then again, if you like anything
resembling the word "resort," don't bother. A-Basin has a cafeteria, a
handful of lockers, and that's about it. If you get there early enough, you
can park close enough to ski back to your car at the end of the day.

If you like fairly aggressive terrain, I would try A-Basin, but I'd check to
see what they have open, first. If they don't have a lot of black diamonds
open, they don't have a lot of the mountain open.

I skiied once before at night at Keystone and kinda thought it was gimicky.
Couldn't really see well enough to ski aggressively, I thought. And (as I
recall) it got cold. (That whole lack of sun thing and all . . .)

I agree; nighttime skiing is gimmicky =P That has nothing to do with Keystone
itself. I personally haven't been too impressed by Keystone, but it's
probably true that I haven't given it a proper chance. It seemed to me that,
no matter how close you park, there's an awful lot of walking from there to
the lifts. But maybe I missed something really obvious.

Beaver Creek looks like a significant drive, but our passes will get us in
there a couple days, also. I've been to Vail and don't really need to get
back there yet (especially over the holiday), but have never skiied BC.
Thoughts?

I like Beaver Creek. I haven't experienced the kinds of crowds at BC that I
have at Vail. If you like steep moguls, there's grouse mountain to keep you
very happy. In fact, there seem to be a lot of fun mogul runs all over. I
was at BC last Tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but we didn't try Grouse
Mountain, which we were told is called "Gravel Mountain" in the early season.
But it *is* open.

--
monique
Longmont, CO