Old January 10th 05, 01:45 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote: (snip)

Honestly, I believe that all of the above is probably of less importance
than my skiing technique. I tend to "haul" on the skis to force them to
turn; I think I'm fighting the mountain. When instructors, friends, etc,
try to get me to feel the point where my boots are providing all of my
support, I never seem to find it, whether on my old boots (salomon
evolution) or my new (salomon women's xwave 8). It *always* seems like my
quads are involved.

So, I'll add a couple of things to my previous post.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being in the back seat.

Sore quads as you describe is *often* a sign of being a little dehydrated.

Feeling like you are "hauling" on the skis or "fighting the mountain" is
often a sign of being in the backseat.

Hrmm, there's a common thread there somewhere ... if only I could find it ...

I've started carrying a camelbak, and I'm sure it helps, but I'm also sure I
don't stay as hydrated as I should.

Has anyone shown you drills for getting your hands forward?

I've certainly worked on getting my hands forward. I tend to forget about it
while focusing the other 400 things I'm supposed to do, though. I'll try to
move it up my list.

If you can't see your hands you are probably in the back seat.

Does peripheral vision count? *grin*

Actually, now that you mention it, I think I am turning my body way too far
while going down the hill. This may be because I'm turning my skis way too
far, though. Should my body stay facing down the hill at all times, or should
it be in line with my skis? I've heard conflicting reports. I think it's the
former?

Do your hands move excessively? When you "crank" a turn, does one of your
hands move behind you? Both hands should be visible all the time and
movement is mostly from the wrist, ticking the pole on the snow as a timing
move. Nothing more. Of course when you are horsing around, other things
happen.

I think I tend to "drag" my poles: I may remember to reach out to pole, but
then I don't remember to pick the pole up right away as I go past that spot.

--
monique
Longmont, CO