Old March 6th 06, 07:37 PM

Alex wrote:
Bernd

April would normally be too late for reliable snow in Oslomarka.

Normally, yes. This year? I won't be surprised if we still have set
tracks some places in early May.

We are currently within grasping distance of the Oslo snow records, and
we had some more today.

I think the mountain resorts north of Oslo normally have snow until
late April. They are mostly at around 800m which helps. There is an

Late April means end of Easter during years when Easter is late, and all
serious mountain resorts have dependable snow at that time.

I know Sjujøen well, which AFAIK, is the most southerly of these. It
can be reached from Lillehammer station. It has 300k plus prepared
tracks. Many are prepared for skating. The latest I have been there is
the third week in April. There was heaps of snow and more fell while
we were there. However, the daytime temperature reached plus 15 C
some days. I wasn't trying to skate, and I don't know whether it would
be good in such conditions.

This is a time of year when conditions are quite variable, but having
+15C is still quite remarkable! :-)

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

OTOH, I've seen great skiing there in late June, so conditions obviously
vary a lot from year to year! (I was born there, and later lived there
for 8 years getting my degree and first job.)

Terje
--
-