Old February 27th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare[_2_]

Default Historic questions on the 3V Les Trois Vallees

On 26/02/2014 19:58, wrote:

If I could find my original piste map (I have never thrown away a
piste map) this would help.

I have had a look at a current piste map and compared it to the
journey I remember.

Nothing looks right. For instance, if you go to head of the Meribel
Valley, then that could not be the start of the journey because the
highest lift would have been Saulire, which is the big bowl where you
ski back down to Courcheval. Not that.

OK if it is still the Courcheval valley I remember then it could be
the valley which descends below the Chanrossa lift. But I am sure that
the Chanrossa lift was not built then and when you descend that valley
the profile is wrong. It just feels wrong.

The other possibility would be that I was returning from Val Thorens
via what looks like Cote Brun, down what looks like blue piste
'Bouvreuil' and blue piste 'Ours'. But I am sure that this is the icey
track alongside the river which I discounted as being the place.

GoogleEarth does not have any winter footage, which wouldhave been
helpful.

I have usually being going other places when in the 3V (like working
my way through Dennis Summerbell's 3V guide) but next time I will make
a serious effort to find this place again.

Thinking about it yet again, the only place it could be, by
elimination, is the Meribel valley, returning to Mottaret from Val
Thorens via Cote Brun.

This must mean that

either

It was a heavy snowfall year in the year I remember skiing it, and the
snow obscured what is the present terrain

or

they have done a lot of work with the bulldozer.

The Cote Brune lift is not on my '91 ski map. It shows 'Retour
Val-Thorens' as a broken dashed red line. I do recall a nasty fall!

These days since the building of the Cote Brune lift there is a lovely
piste.

--
Michael Chare