Old January 20th 04, 03:38 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs

"David Brown )" wrote in message
Are there any dry slopes near you? They are much more difficult to board

on
but a lot slower, and with decent lessons (which by the sounds of, you
definately didn't have) you'll pick it up in a safe controlled manner.

What are dry slopes? Are they those artificial turf hills with slippery
pellets?

At your standard you should not be travelling forward at all IMHO, as you
noted you will soon become a fast moving uncontrolled projectile.
You say that you couldn't get an edge at all, but you should be on an edge
at all times, flat running at your level (and mine for that matter is
lethal).

Yes, that was my problem. The board was flat and I was going much too fast.

Side slipe on both heal and toes edges untill you are in complete control

of
speed and the board.
Then try falling leaf (side slip going side to side) on both heal and toe
edges. Then try the same but turning a little more into the fall line

and
back to perpendicular to the slope again.

Many people have mentioned this "falling leaf" technique. Is it a standard
lesson for beginners? If so, why didn't we use it?!

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez