Old November 8th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

Default Autosock: approved in Switzerland?

"Ace" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 04:14:09 -0800 (PST), Clive Backham
wrote:

We changed our car this summer, and the new one can't take normal snow
chains (presumably due to lack of clearance at the back of the wheel).
Things like Spyder Spikes and the like are very expensive.

We'll be driving to Nendaz in February - does anyone know if Autosocks
are approved as an alternative to chains in Switzerland?

Not sure if they're "approved", but you can certainly buy them in
shops, and knowing the Swiss, if they weren't allowed as an
alternative they probably wouldn't be on sale.

And you're unlikely to actually need to use them[1] if you're just
going to Nendaz anyway :-)

[1] Yes, of course you'll want to have them anyway, but it's almost
unheard of for anyone to be checked[2]
[2] Waits for cries of 'yes I have' from other Swiss residents.
--
Ace - bdotrogers a.t ifrancedotcom
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk

After changing from a Renault to an Alfa last winter I soon discovered that
although it has the essential ski-flap, snow-chains chains just aren't
usable, so I went down the sock route.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the efficiency, but would say don't leave them
on any longer than you need to (they're so quick to fit/remove that you have
no excuse) as they'll wear quite rapidly on tarmac. Prices vary a lot, but
if you're driving through France then check larger hypermarkets: mine cost
around 45 euros a pair from my local Lerclerc. Autoroute service areas, on
the other hand.... :.(

Final thought: the 'socks' could be well worth carrying anyway, as they also
work in/on mud, as well as getting you up an icy driveway.

Bonne route.

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude