Old January 27th 04, 03:18 AM
Mike T

Default Yet Another Donek Question

I've noticed that the edges "grip" a little bit unusually when sliding
down icy slopes. I'm guess that's due to the 0 degree bevel on the
edge. It's not terrible, just noticible that the board is definitely
"asserting" itself a little, like it wants to carve and not just
slip-slide down the enter mountain.

I've been doing a half-degree bevel on my base edges which seems to do
wonders for reducing unwanted grabbiness. I don't notice any
difference when I'm going edge-to-edge although I've read that racers
can easily notice a half degree. But running flat is much easier for
me with a little bevel.

I must reiterate my continually warning about the board width and boot
sizes. The waist is small, but the board doesn't flair much, so the
width at the binding locations are noticeable *narrow*. I have small
size 8 feet the Incline is even narrow for me (I have to ride like
20/15+ degree angles), I suggest getting the Wide for most people if
they don't like high angles. I have small feet and I don't mind high
angles, so it wasn't too bad for me, but it could really cause some
trouble for people with bigger feet or more neutral angles.

I agree with Arvin, consider the waist width carefully. If you have a
solid carving technique, then yeah, on size 8's with mellow angles you
*will* drag a toe or a heel cup on an Incline. For reference I'm size
8, 15/6 to 24/15. If you're not getting as much inclination (edge
angle w/ snow on your turns), you might very well prefer the Incline
with a size 8 - 10 boot. Of course, these boards do want to carve
and you may find yourself wanting a little more width later. That's
exactly what happened to me and why I went Incline - Wide after a year.