Old August 28th 03, 02:45 PM
Ian Spare

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:41:23 +0200, Ace wrote:

'Mere' is the misleading part here. In French, anywhere there is
skiing is referred to as a Station de Ski. It's in no way connected to
the existence or otherwise of town, village or city.

Quite right, I'd forgotton that the French "stations de ski" was
generally translated as ski resorts until you mentioned it.
Personally, resorts doesn't sound right to me, it suggest places you
vaction in, 90% of my skiing (probably like yours) is weekends in one
of my flats or days from the house (which should improve this year as
we're living near enough for Verbier).