Old March 11th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Martino

Default ACL surgery - double bundle vs. single bundle

Tore my ACL in Big Sky last Monday :-(. Contacted some friends from home land - Poland and they all had a double bundle procedure done; versus what is common in US - a single bundle. Basically a more anatomic reconstruction which allows (supposedly) for better motion and possibly prevents some late age issues. Crazy thing is that in states almost nobody does it. The expert in the procedure - Dr. Freddie Fu from the U of Pittsburg has troubles spreading the news around the country. UW, my local clinic supposedly has been doing it but I called them and they said sorry bro but no go; the research nurse expressed her dissatisfaction with the acceptance of the new method but she mentioned that this is usually the case here; no willingness to learn newer stuff, ...... A recommended to me Dr, who does Mariners and Seahawks (major players in town) does only a single bundle. I am freaking frustrated with the lack on advance in the field in the local surgeon community and zero public awareness (local physiotherapy pros knew nothing about double bundle when asked). I check with my friends in Germany and Italy and it's a common thing there. I am still thinking if I should have a single done by the local pro or if I should travel to Pittsburg to have it done by Dr. Fu or even to Europe where I can spend not much more than my deductible here. Major concern - a surgery of this kind far from home could turn into a nightmare.
What do the others know, do, plan?
Cheers
Ian
PS. if someone has a say on the use of the biodegradable screws I'd love to hear