Old July 24th 03, 02:31 PM
Dave Kiely

Default Shadow Skiing

I was rollerskiing yesterday and the sun was at the perfect angle for
"shadow skiing". This is the cheapest way to get video analysis of your
technique. When I first learned how to classic ski somewhat correctly in
Jackson, WY I use to do this all the time in the late afternoon. I was able
to watch my shadow on the side and see how my tech looked. Granted this is
not nearly as good as looking at video tape of yourself but I really do
think it can help. So often the mental image of what we are doing is much
different from the real thing. Another downside of course is that I am no
coach so my pointers to myself might not be the best but it still is quite
fun and I do think it can help with tech.

The sun has to be just right for this but when it is (either right at your
back or alongside) you really can get a good "picture" of what your tech
looks like.

Wondering if anyone else ever does this.

Dave