Old May 27th 05, 04:24 AM
Marsh Jones

Nathan Schultz wrote:
What did your 812's flex at? How much do you weigh? What conditions do you
ski/race in mostly? If you don't know flex numbers, what flex are the skis
(soft, med, stiff) and what length?

Hi Nathan,
46.7, 195 dropping to 190, turn 50 this summer. Minnesota conditions...
Med flex, 207 Cold.

The hardest part to figure out is your technical proficiency. This can
alter the ski selection significantly. It sounds like you're a strong
classical skier, but how long have you skied, what kind of coaching have you
had, etc?

Hard to say. The only two serious races last year were Mora, MN
(20s,orange klister, 812s) and the Birkie (3:16 watch time!) (single
digits, VR40, ARCs).
OK, the rest of the dirt. I've been skiing since the mid-70s, off&on.
I started trying to classic seriously again 2 years ago, race canoes in
the summertime, and have had minimal formal coaching - a couple of
sessions at local clinics with club level coaches and a fair amount of
critique from my highschool team coaching partner. If time works out
this year, I'll participate in Finn-Sisu's program. If not, whatever
seminars I can fit in. Technically, I'm so-so. I slap badly at times,
don't get enough drive out of my arms, don't explode off the ski when I
get tired, but I mostly can keep my back curved and keep my head down.

Thanks,

Marsh

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

"Marsh Jones" wrote in message

Zach, Nathan, Eli, et al:

Over the past two years, I've fallen back in love with classic technique,
and made pretty serious improvements in my technique. I bought a new pair
of Fischer 812s last year hoping that they would become my 'A' skis
(supplementing my 8 yo ARCs). Both pair were flexed by Tom Novak and Ahvo
to make sure they did fit.
So... The 812s seem to work very well, most of the time, on manmade and
firm natural tracks. They do require pretty significant kick to get them
to bite - I found I was often one wax warmer than others to get reliable
kick. The kick zone was very well defined, removing any kickwax outside
the pocket in about 5K. But they are rockets on glide, so I felt pretty
good about getting them.
The Atomics have been Buicks -no flash, not extremely fast, but pretty
reliable (but getting to where I doubt Tom can grind them more than once
more). When it came time to pick skis for the Birkie, Ahvo suggested them
instead of the 'faster' 812s, suggesting that the softer kick would get me
to the finish line better. He was right. I had kick all the way, getting
out of the tracks only a couple of very short segments - and mostly for
traffic. And skied a PR, in spite of having my skis disappear at the
start and missing my wave by 10+ min.

So the question of the day is: In general, what would you add to a
classic quiver for next season? A pair of 'wet' skis, or a pair of
hardpack skis with a little softer pocket that the 812s' WC one?

TIA,

Marsh Jones