Old January 17th 06, 03:43 AM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
k wrote:

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually
twice
the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that
many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and
those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more
energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Sorry, but I disagree. Most young people can't afford to ski often
because
it's an expensive proposition.

Nor can they afford hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars worth of
equipment,
or the cost of a nearby chalet or hotel room. Their parents pay.

I generally ski in the Northeast (Vermont
mostly), and can't agree with your statement that most skiers are in
their
twenties or younger. I think all ages are pretty well represented on the
slopes, and seeing a 70-something cutting a nice track is no more unusual
than seeing a 5 year old first timer, or a 25-year old hot rodder.

It must be a lot different there. From my experience, the majority are
under
30. I won't say that I never say anyone over 70 on the ski hills, only
that it
is rare, probably more 5 year olds than over 70 types.

As for your legs hurting after a few hours, that means you're having
trouble
yourself - possibly with technique, possibly your equipment, maybe just
hitting too much rough stuff. Unless the weather turns really awful, I
always ski all day long, and I've been skiing for 45 years. Last year,
in
anticipation of my 60th birthday, my wife took me on a two week ski trip
6 different areas, and we both skied all day for 13 of those days.

Great.... and you did say that you have been doing it for 45 years. It
does
require some degree of fitness.

Skiing is a joy, and if it's not a joy for you then you should figure out
why. If your legs hurt after a few runs, then something is wrong as I
mentioned before. Downhill is absolutely different than cross-country,
and
I suspect you might be trying to translate some of your old technique to
different sport.

It is indeed different from cross country. With cross country you have to
use
the skis and poles to get yourself moving and keep moving. With downhill
skiing
you are trying control the forces of gravity.

I am 62 and wife is 63. We ski Tahoe and we do not feel old, and see lots
of people near our age and older sking. More of the younger are in to snow
boards. My older daughter boards, and the younger skis. I like Heavenly.
They have some deals for first time skiers, lesson and equipment at a really
good price. At least last year. Check out Heavenly's website. It may also
be at Sierra at Tahoe. Sierra at Tahoe is farther from South Shore.
Heavenly has some really nice open bowls to ski.