Old January 19th 05, 04:51 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Finally skiing

Here in St. Paul, we've gotten used to driving a few blocks or a few
miles and skiing at Como golf course. During normal winters, the rock
skiing starts in early Dec, the course is groomed from about Christmas
until the big melt down that often occurs around Birkie week. Usually
there's big groups of skiers out there in the afternnon from a few high
schools, and then in the evening the big Finn Sisu groups arrive.

With no snow this year, the skiers have been scattered to the wind,
running, cycling, swamp skiing, etc. I haven't skied much at Elm Creek
this year because I hate rush hour traffic, and I purchased a pass to
Trollhaugen (which I haven't been to much either), but I think Elm
Creek has become the new local meeting place for skiers.

Last night we got a 1/2" of snow and it was my first ski at Como. It
was dead with hardly anyone there until the Finn Sisu groups arrived
about 7 pm. Wow, a normal ski evening in the winter. Felt kind of odd.
There's no trail packed down, but the free range skiing was pretty good
considering the fact that St. Paul Streets Dept hasn't had to plow snow
yet this year.

How long does it take to get in shape? Can I do it in a week?
Jay Wenner