Old September 20th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Rocky Mtn.Bum

Default lurking ski nut

"Bob F" wrote in message
Rocky Mtn.Bum wrote:
G'day. I have been lurking in this group for a month or so. I really
have found the ski discourse helpful looking back over previous posts.
My question is how to stay unblocked? Do I have to not reply to
certain posters? If so, which ones? I see two particular posters who
seem to have caused a lot of disruption here, and they post nothing
of value that interests me...Are any posters real-life ski friends?

Just asking

The #1 Bum

Stay out of the flame wars with the loons, or at least minimise direct
in any meaningful way. Mostly, the people I block are the "enablers" that
goad the #1 loon trying to antagonise him, and of course, the loon
himself. There is never anything of value in those threads. There have
been a few people who frequently get into it with him that I kept around
for a long time, because they actually had something interesting to say on
other topics occasionally. Over time, the ratio of real contribution to
enabling became too much, and they went also.

Of course, everyone's standards are different, so you take your chances.
The major consideration is probably to stay on-topic, and avoid the flame
wars.

I do wonder how many have blocked me because I have responded to threads
involving the loons, asking people to stop enabling them by responding the
way they do, mostly to no avail.

Probably 90% of the messages posted to this group involve these flame wars
at times, judging by the number of new posts that actually make it through
my filters.

Yes, who have you blocked and maybe I will do the same. It should alter the
appearance of my Forte Agent newsreader...
Thanks