Old November 22nd 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Planned obsolescence?

On 11/22/10 3:46 PM, VtSkier wrote:
WWII vet from
the Airborne landing at Anzio.

We lost one of our WWII vets last year - skied with him the spring
before (~88 yrs old) but he didn't turn up last fall - eventually his
son posted a notice in the locker room; Jack had contracted and died of
cancer over the summer. B17 pilot flying out of southern England. They
had a typical mission profile that took them over landmarks on the
European coast.

An advanced youth German guy is across the locker room - he flew
Luftwaffe fighters trying to shoot down those B17 flights. From known
mission dates the two determined they had definitely shot at each other
on several occasions.

I hope the German guy makes it back this fall - haven't seen him yet. I
miss Jack.