Old October 11th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default back on the snow

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:

I don't know them, but I gather they are luminaries among hard-booters?

Lowell Hart is a pioneering snowboard instructor who wrote one of the
first instructional books (The Snowboard Book). Chris Karol is a racer
and coach from back in the day. They both know their stuff, soft and hard.

Thanks, I know a lot about "soft-boot" history. I wrote up a synopsis
for the old online snowboard column I used to write for the AMI ski
site. Of course Jack Burton Carpenter's history, but also Barfoot, Flite
and the Derrah Bros. from Newport RI, right next door to me, others,
including back to Sherman Plopkin, or whatever his name was, inventor of
the first board with the string attached to hold on to (oh yeah...the
Snurfer). I know more names, and product history, but it's 6am and I
need another cup of coffee. Will try to dig it out and post, if anyone
is interested.

Anyway, hadn't heard of them, so thought they might be more "hard boot"
oriented. I have nothing against that discipline, and love to see
high-speed, laid out carves, I've just never tried it. I can carve
pretty well and lay them out on my standard shape directional boards and
soft boots, but the hard booters will still put me, and any other, soft
boot carver, to shame, when it comes to carving.

-jw