Old October 10th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default back on the snow

In article ,
Neil Gendzwill wrote:

jw wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote

Web forums have almost 100% replaced rss.

This is certainly not one of the busiest. There are others that are very
much
used. I find usenet way easier to keep up with than web forums. New
messages
are obvious in multiple newsgroups without major 'clicking'.

I've found Usenet, at least the small handful of groups I'm subscribed
to, has become more quality, not quanitity. Here, for example.

I said "rss" not usenet in general. I like the interface too, although
I sure like web fora for making sure everyone is looking at the same set
of posts and being able to edit.

Yes, I think I did say that rss appears to fall in the "quality not
quantity" category, noticealbe even in the brief time I've been back.
Lack of quantity was certainly immediately apparent, but that didn't
really bother me. Just surprised it was sooooo reduced in participation.

Anyways, I'd argue that rss is quality. It's the same half-dozen guys
who hang here more out of habit than anything. For my style of riding,
Bomberonline is the most info-filled and entertaining forum around.
There's even good softboot information there from time to time. You
know the info is good when guys like Lowell Hart and Chris Karol drop in
from time to time.

I don't know them, but I gather they are luminaries among hard-booters?

Sounds like a good source!

-jw