Old February 11th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Default GPS-based online trail system

Here's a map of the xc ski trail system around our mountain cabin in
Rauland, Telemark:

http://www.visitrauland.com/?p=73_94_LL&pr=73_290_2

Our cabin is located about 100 m from the major trail junction just
above the 'hotell' part of the two-line
'Rauland
Høgfjellshotell'

entry. :-)

Two+ days ago we had the last snowfall, so early that morning the track
setters started working. They have GPSs in all of them, linked up with
the data service of the GSM cell network, so you can follow their
progress in real time (more or less).

Here is the resulting trail map:

http://www.visitrauland.com/?p=73_94_MM&pr=73_94_104

The green track logs are from trails that have been set with a wide
machine, with classic track on the side(s) leaving plenty of room for
skating in the middle, while the yellow trails are about 2.5 m wide,
with just two classic tracks.

Terje

--
-