Old January 15th 04, 07:07 AM
Bill Kraus

Default Striding mo' betta?

I feel quite strongly that perfecting striding - stuff like full weight
transfer, dynamic body position, fully committed kick/double pole - makes

huge improvement in skating too. There's NOTHING like tuning in on good
classic technique on excellent gear. It's so relaxing and at the same

time
challenging. I skate a lot too (truth be told, probably more hours than
striding), but would give that up before striding!

It's funny that you say that - I'm nowhere nears the level of most of the
folks on this newsgroup, but I've been thinking the same thing. I first took
up nordic skiing four years ago - did all the local citizen races (which are
almost all skating), and only ocassionally took out the classic gear. Didn't
help that classic technique aggravates an old ankle injury, and that here in
Tahoe, it always seems to be icy, klister conditions.

Then last year in late January I had a good Norwegian friend convince me to
fly over and do the Birkebeinerennet (he's an awesome classic skier whose
gotten the 'mark' the last seven times he's done the race). Well, I finished
at the back of my age class, but fell in love with classic skiing. I find it
technically more difficult than skating, and actually enjoy the challenge of
trying to hit the kick wax. I now do classic technique in many of the
free-style races I participate in just because I find it more enjoyable (and
it's not like I'm competitive anyway). Funny thing is, I also noticed that
since I've been doing more classic, it seems to help my balance while
skating. Skating is still alot of fun, especially on the downhills with the
better ankle support and shorter skis, but to me, there's nothing like
finding your stride (pun intended) and making that perfect kick.