Old September 17th 03, 04:34 AM
Lew Lasher

I had the Adventure Skiing map with me, and I looked really hard in the places
where this map showed that there ought to have been junctions (with the CCC road
and with the lower Teardrop trail), to no avail. The hiking trails were all
clearly marked. Incidentally, the Teardrop trail (which, although unmarked, was
pretty obvious) is incorrectly shown on the Adventure Skiing map as crossing the
CCC road at a 4-way junction. It would be very unfortunate to rely on this error
and to ski downhill across the CCC road at full speed. There is a small clearing
there, with a pleasant view, but no more trail. As David Goodman correctly
describes, you need to turn left on the CCC road and then turn right soon
afterwards to continue downhill onto the lower part of the Teardrop trail. (And,
as I said in my previous post on this thread, David Goodman did say that the
WB/Underhill trail was poorly marked/maintained.)

This is why it is worthwhile to go GPS hiking and make your own maps. Commercial
maps have errors. For (another) example, the Adventure Skiing map's depiction of
the upper Burt trail where it meets the upper Skytop trail is basically
fictitious (having the same errors as on the maps put out earlier by the Stowe
Mountain Resort). And, even though it only has contour lines at 100 foot
intervals, there are certain critical points on Skytop Ridge whose elevation is
incorrect by more than 100 feet. But I've found the map helpful in giving me a
general idea where to look for trails so that I can map them accurately myself.

The WB/Underhill trail supposedly continues south from the undetectable junction
with the Teardrop trail to cross the Frost and Butler Lodge hiking trails before
terminating at the Overland ski trail. I'll go back at some point to these other
trails and look for evidence of trail junctions.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

"Gary S." wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:04:14 -0400, "Nick Branch"
wrote:

No, I haven't. But this trail is marked on the Adventure Skiing Map
available for the area's bc trails. This trail is also discussed in the
selected trails section of the map, so I would think it would be somewhat
visible. This map indicates the trail diverges right (SE) from the CCC trail
at about 2230'. The Halfway House hiking trail leaves the Underhill trail to
the North just a few dozen feet from this junction. Did you see signage for
this trail?
"Lew Lasher" wrote in message
This past weekend I was doing some GPS hiking in Underhill, Vermont to
try to map some trails there. I hiked the CCC Road and parts of the
Teardrop trail, but I couldn't find any trace of the WB trail - which is
supposedly now called the Underhill trail, but that is a moot point if

I don't have it in front of me, but David Goodman has published a book
published by the AMC:

Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Classic Ski and Snowboard Tours in
Vermont and New York, 2000
ISBN: 1-878239-70-8 AMC Product ID: 2589