Old January 13th 10, 07:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default Beginner Nordic Skiing in Europe

Eugene Miya wrote:
Norway has really short days. Bug Terje for info. I had dinner with
him in Oslo, and he comes here a number of time, and I get dinner with
him in the USA. Numerous places to learn there. Just short days and
sometimes really cold.

The best xc skiing in the world is of course in Oslo.

2600 km of groomed xc trails, this winter they have even started to set
tracks in some of the downtown parks, like Vigelandsparken.

The short days in mid-winter isn't really a problem:

a) We have at least 100km+ of lighted tracks just inside/around Oslo
city limits.

b) Everyone serious skies with a head lamp these days, modern halogen of
LED lamps with NiMH or Li battery packs give much better visibility than
what you get in a lighted stadium or lighted track.

c) If you're visiting you can ski in the daytime even on weekdays, which
means at least 6-8 hours even around Dec 21st.

As soon as you get to February, as the OP mentioned, there's very little
difference in the number of daylight hours anyway.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no