Old April 18th 06, 12:29 AM

Jan:

Man, I think with all those wheels you'll aproach the weight of your
Crosskates. I'm really dubious of any roller skis ever being very
useful off-road, except perhaps on smooth grass like golf courses.
How well do the Crosskates do?

I've got one and maybe two solutions for off-road. First, Catskis.
See 'em at Catskier.com or planetxc.com. I've owned two pair; the
originals, and the much better second generation. Great classic
diagonal stride (only) intense workout. I like 'em best on a big
soccer field, or several next to each other, but they will go over just
about anything. On level ground it always feels like you're climbing a
noticable grade. I usually avoid hills, not because it's not a great
intereval climbing, but because going down you still have to diagonal
stride, and it's worthless, both technique and effort wise. Especially
nice for after dark workouts.

The other idea I haven't yet tried. I bought some used Italian
Rolskis, which I think were also called Grasskis. They were sold as a
way to downhill ski in the summer. Think of miniature free-rolling
tank treads with a platform over the middle for bindings. They feel
ather heavy, and the platform is probably at least two inches off the
ground, but I'm hoping they may function okay as off-road skate skis.
I'll let you know when I get around to them.

Randy