Old December 22nd 04, 05:36 PM
MattB

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2004-12-22, MattB penned:

In that case we should test everyone to be sure they got a good night's
sleep too. Just think, if I'm sleepy because my baby was teething all night
I just might accidentally take you out on the hill. Very dangerous.

I would bet that sleep deprivation accounts for a *lot* of accidents, on
mountain and off.

I agree with your point, though -- there are so many conditions that can
adversely affect performance, from lack of sleep to emotional state to poorly
fitting boots, that it doesn't make sense to pick out a few and agonize over
them. Better to encourage people to recognize when they're not in good shape
and take responsibility for staying out of obvious harm's way.

I mentioned sleep deprivation because I've become very familiar with
it's effects over the last year and a half. It can wreck me worse than a
bad hangover.
I think the biggest thing would be to make people know they are
accountable for their actions, and then actually make them accountable.
That's a huge problem in our society - immediately trying to find
someone or something on which to place blame (or sue).
But that's another rant...

Matt