Old November 29th 13, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Happy Thanksgiving

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:08:30 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Well done. I like the .45 ACP Taurus but I'm a military man. I have
a Colt Mark IV/Series 70 Gold Cup .45 right next to me. I prefer the
Gold Cup over the standard Combat Commander because it has a lighter
trigger pull, an adjustable trigger and adjustable sights. My next
pistola will be a Browning 9mm.

Mil stuff is generally good, even if it's 70 years old. I've got a Taurus PT-92 in 9mm parabellum, which is the exact same standard-issue sidearm of the Brazilian army. It's sweet, and can put an amazing amount of heat downrange almost as fast as a full-auto weapon. There's no question why the Brazilians chose it -- but being made in-country helped, I'm sure. It's a clone of the Beretta that's now the standard-issue sidearm for the US military. Interestingly, their contract for half a million of those required that Beretta open a factory here in the US.

The .45 ACP and 9mm are almost exactly the same size and weight. I hope to see how well they compare in handling. Of course, the .45 is missing one fun feature of the 9mm -- no factory 17-round clips that fit without protruding from the handgrip.

But both are still kinda too big for real concealed carry, although a shoulder holster would work if worn under a bulky sportcoat.

At one of the more interesting local mega-churches I've been to, they have heavily armed plainclothes security guards with Secret Service-style earbud radios to protect the pastor. Last time I was there, the one closest to me was carrying a gun this size, and the bulge on his hip made it painfully obvious that he was packing. I'll have to find something small, probably a .380 (although I hate to add another caliber). At close range, it'll be good enough -- but not as intimidating as either Taurus, so the need to shoot may be higher. At the same time, it'd be less likely to shoot through the target and down-range collateral damage would be lower.

Good luck on finding a clean Browning that costs less than a new car. Along with all legally obtained firearms, the price has skyrocketed since Bush was in office. Especially for the good stuff.