Old June 19th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default What to do in a whiteout?

On Jun 18, 9:47*am, "Kevin" wrote:

Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. *It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. *But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.

OH! Sorry Kevin. I misunderstood the situation. I was thinking of the
kind that last for extended periods of time. Those can be really odd.

There are all kinds of visibilty problems like the one you describe.
Flat light, foggy eyewear.......I suppose that putting your butt down
is an option but you learn to ski through them as well. Do what feels
best to you.