Old June 18th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

Default What to do in a whiteout?

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:42:38 -0400, "Kevin"
wrote this crap:

A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest trail
I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I couldn't
see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

You did good, if you had stopped you would have risked getting hit
from behind.

Many times my crew an I were out on patrol on our boat, and a fog
drifted in. It's hard to navigate when you can't see. We send a hand
up to the bow to look for light, obstructions, or whatever. We use
sounds, such as horns or whistles to make sure others hear us and we
listen for others to whistle.

And remember to vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me