Old June 18th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Default What to do in a whiteout?

I don't know that "falling down" would have been to bright. You could
have been there for a LONG time.

I think that the only thing you can do in a situation like that is to
be aware of you surroundings by taking a look around if you are in
unfamiliar territory, wait out the gusts, and make your way down as
best as possible.
Visibility was fine and I was headed straight down the hill in the middle of
a turn when the whiteout hit. It was all over in 5 seconds or so, and then
visibility was good again. But at the speed I was going, you cover a lot of
distance in 5 seconds.