Old June 18th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Default What to do in a whiteout?

A few months ago I was at Squaw Valley. Most of the resort was closed
because of 50mph winds.

I was coming down a black trail (Saddle?). I was on the steepest part
(okay, it might not have been all that steep, but it was the steepest trail
I had ever skied...) when the wind kicked up and all went white. I couldn't
see my hands, let alone the ground.
I turned right about 120*, figuring there wasn't much there and I should
stop.
Well, the ground fell out and I shot down, and then came to a stop when it
went back up.
Fun ride, but I wonder if I should have just fallen down when it got white,
rather then risking hitting things I couldn't see.

What was right?