Old March 28th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Boards: Soft vs. Hard

On Mar 28, 12:42*pm, Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Christian Georg Becker wrote:
Switters schrieb:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:59:56 GMT, "Bob F"
allegedly wrote:
go up this weekend and try it out. *Once, you go soft, youll never go
back.
How does it do at speed? On ice? Hard carves?

Not very well, I would think, but then you knew that *It's one
reason I moved from the Burton Floater to the Canyon, and then to Doneks.

Ok, that I could have guessed. But how is a softer board off piste in
deep snow?

Soft is better in the deep but on the other hand, you can ride damn near
* anything short of a race board in the deep, it's just a matter of how
hard you want to work. *I have a Coiler AM with a 21.5 cm waist that is
guaranteed stiffer than the boards 99.9% of the people ride, and it
works fine in powder although admittedly I haven't had it in bottomless
fluff.

Neil

What about a softer board makes it better in deep powder?

BTW, I agree that it's not really a problem riding a relatively stiff
board in the flats. A softer board is more forgiving, but once
you're reasonably skilled, the stiffer ones do fine.

It's not really that one board type is superior to another. It
depends on what you use it for and your skill level.