Old December 15th 03, 08:00 PM
Sharkie

Default Foot still attached to board when on chair lifts is killing my knee...

(chas) wrote in message . com...
...However, at the resort I went to in Japan, they absolutely forbid this
- instead, you have to get on the lift with one (leading) foot still
strapped into the board....
...Is this the same situation in Europe and USA ?

Yes it is. Actually it's the first time I hear about places where
they allow you to remove the snowboard completely.

To remove the leg pain while riding with your front foot strapped in
you can do 2 things:

1) let the board rest on top of your back foot. The problem with this
is the board will be turned sideways, which might be an obstacle
if there are skiers sitting beside you. But you can minimize this angle
by putting your back foot more forward. If you have your back foot
where the back bindings are, the board will be turned sideways. But
put your foot more forward (towards the front foot), and you'll notice
the board will turn more forward as well. If you put your back foot
just behind your front foot, the board will be enough forward to allow
sitting with a skier without hitting his equipment.

2) turn (rotate) slightly in your chair. So if you're a regular rider
rotate clockwise. Lean back and only your right part of your back should
be leaned against the back support. This works best if you sit in a corner
(you're the leftmost rider if you're regular). This way you will reduce
the twist required to keep the board in a forward position.

Combine the two and you should always ride the chairlift comfortably.
There's really no need to ride in a twisted position, or end up with
knee pain. If you do, change something. I've been riding for many years
and the chairlift was always a relaxing experience for me.

Enjoy your riding!