Old October 24th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_3_]

Default Daily Mail Ski Show - ouch

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:00:27 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

Ace wrote:

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:47:56 -0600, vulgarandmischevious
wrote:

Ace wrote:

Like a annual lift pass at chf640, which we've just used for the first
skiing day of the season here in Engelberg.

I forgot to say that this is last year's pass, not needing renewal
until December 10th.

That's twice as expensive as my season ticket,

Yes, but you only get to use it at a little bitty hill. Engelberg must
be at least twice as good.

You're hilariously smug!

It was probably the apres-ski champagne talking

How would you measure "twice as good"?

Oh well, mainly, I guess, that the range, steepness and length of some
of the off-piste runs here surpasses pretty much anywhere I've skiied.
The Laub is perhaps the most well-known, with 1200m vertical, pretty
much straight down, and an _average_ gradient of 35degrees, with parts
of the main run well over 40 (and steeper if you look for the
couloirs); North-facing, so in mid-season pretty much unaffected by
the sun, and although easily accessible, you need to know how to get
to it, as the entrance is somewhat hidden and even once you get to it
it looks ****ing intimidating with a very steep rutted section at the
top, so you don't get too many wannabes on it.

Also the snow record is excellent, with a season running from October
to late May, and the night life is pretty good too. Oh, and the
restaurants, both on the mountain and in the village.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/