Old November 15th 04, 11:37 PM
Peter Cole

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
Dmitry wrote:

"J. VerSchave" wrote

I am looking to buy an all-purpose jacket this year for my
snowboarding and mountain biking activities. I am assuming I should
get a separate shell and liner.

Liner? Why?

I think he met shell and seperate insulation layer, like a fleece.

Anyways, go to the aforementioned Mountain Equipment Coop Site
(www.mec.ca) and look for the Zik jacket (under men's cycling clothing).
The hood is zip-off, which is good when you're using helmets. It's
made of Gore-Tex XCR, the best of the waterproof-breathables. It has
reflective strips. You could easily use it on the mountain too. You'll
need to get a fleece to wear underneath it for colder conditions.

I think shells suck. They all trap sweat like crazy, even the "breathable"
ones. Unless it's raining, I'm wearing fleece with a wind vest, much
cheaper and tune-able. In the rain, it doesn't matter, you'll get wet
either way. You just want to keep running water off your body.