Old February 18th 04, 01:09 AM
Ken Roberts

Default Keski 25k Classic. View from the back.

Yes that was the start and finish of my backcountry excursion.

On your tour, did you go over the edge of Lusk lake
and climb up to #1, and turn left for McKinstry?

I had a lot of help. Pete Hickey actually brought an old Gatineau Park map
with him to dinner the night before, and showed me the old #10 trail on it.
Actually I asked him about a possible interconnect two years ago, and he
told me then about old #10 -- but I had trouble finding the trail near Lusk
Lake that year -- and didn't want to commit to a route-finding
trail-breaking business with the gear I'd brought -- so instead I just had a
pleasant time exploring closer in to P19.

This time I had #10 sketched onto my Park map, and a compass, and kicker
skins for steep trail-breaking. But I didn't need those this time because
the trail was already broken in by previous parties.

Why not join us for the real Big Tour the
weekend before the Keski?

Sounds interesting -- but does it include much _skating_ ?

My route from P19 to McKinstry had lots of skating. I was touring on a high
peak in the Adirondacks today and I did lots of skating. 90 km from Salen
to Mora is a great concept, but for sure I'm going to choose a day when I
can _skate_ it.

A key reason I chose the Keskinada Loppet this year instead of the Tug Hill
Tourathon or the Craftsbury
Marathon is because Keskinada has good skating.

It's not that I refuse to do any tours that are less than half skating, but
I want to know what are the compensating advantages.

Ken