Old December 7th 04, 08:21 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:55:30 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:
|
| "Ace" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:44:57 +0100, "Simon Brown"

| | wrote:
| |
| | "Ace" wrote in message
| | .. .
| |
| | There's been no snow across the country for a few days and it's
| been
| | relatively mild, although it was near zero around here (nr.
Basel)
| | last night so perhaps it's getting colder again.
| |
| |
| | Crap round here - Eastern Switzerland. Will be cool but sunny all
| week
| | (actually glorious right now). Stay away...
| |
| | Just checked the 6-day forecast - sunny all week with freezing
levels
| | getting higher...
|
| Yup, same for the Tarentaise, mebbe some wet stuff tomorrow but only
| falling as snow above 2000m.....
|
| It's quite weird, actually. Round here it's foggy and down to about -5
| overnight, at a guess, meaning there's been a fair deposit of hoar
| frost on the roads. Glad I put the winter tyres on the Volvo at the
| weekend.

Someone mentioned temperature inversion to me t'other day. Below
freezing on the valley floor, but rarely cold enough to get the cannons
going at altitude - over the past 4/5 days I've seen just the one
half-heartedly working at Arc 1600. The snow from the end of November
still lying on the ground though, here at 850m.

First piste basher of the season working the Cachette slope at the
moment, they'd accumulated a fair bit of the artificial stuff during the
second half of November, hopefully enough to at least keep to the
opening date of the 11th at Les Arcs - though there'll be b... all
open - no significant snowfall forecast before the weekend, that's for
sure.

Pete
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net
SNOWeSCAPE