Old December 1st 04, 02:00 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Lew Lasher wrote:

As others have said, the chances of good snow in Vermont before
Christmas are not great. I'd say slightly better than 50%, less than
2-in-3. And, although it's still November, I'd say that this year
winter already seems to be behind schedule.

My general advice would be to wait as long as you can before making
plans. Depending on where the first storms come in, the best bets would
be Craftsbury, Stowe, or Bolton Valley in northern Vermont, or Prospect
Mountain in southern Vermont. If you're willing to consider places
other than Vermont, my next choice would be Lake Placid, then northern
New Hampshire, rather than Qubec (unless you're willing to go as far as
Camp Mercier), although, if you're willing to wait until the last
minute, the best snow could be in Gatineau.

Once you start looking beyond the VT borders, Tug Hill and Old Forge
should also be considered. In any given snow drought either of these
can and often do have good snow before Lake Placid. Granted, Lake Placid
and Gatineau are more interesting places for what to do at the end of the
day when the skiing is done, but if the primary objective is finding snow
these should be in your hunt list.

-Mitch