Old February 23rd 04, 05:08 AM
Henry

Default Helmets - any available with soft padding?

Well, I just bought a Pro-tec helmet with hi density foam rubber inside,
instead of styrofoam. Also, I just finished gluing three yellow foam
indoor tennis balls to the back, for additional padding. Next time you
are on the slopes, look for the guy whose head looks like the Mars Lander!

Henry

Yro wrote:

going out in a

few minutes to a general purpose sports shop to look at the helmets
used for hockey, whitewater, rock climbing, etc., to see what
construction they use. Any opinions here

I reckon a helmet which such a soft center would probably fall apart sooner
than later.... but I suppose you may be able to find one. Maybe your
better off looking for a skull cap that you can wear underneath.

Bottom line, helmets not going to prevent your brain from rattling around in
your skull.. that's just not possible to prevent... a helmet _will_
absorb some of the energy that would otherwise go into your grey matter, but
its not going to ever take it all... but it's mostly there to protect
against the big CRACK of your noggin off a rock/ice/tree etc..

At least how I see it..

Pointed helmets.. .hmm maybe.. I can see your logic.. but I'd hate to see a
wipeout where the helmet sticks into the snow, the head stays at nice and
snug in the impact crater.. while your body continues down the piste... =D