Old February 26th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Has "C-Shaped" Double Poling Led to Increase In Spine Injuries?

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:15:35 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 06:44:45 -0800 (PST), wrote:

A notable aspect of this desription is that it leads to repeated spine
flexion against a load. Recent research seems to be saying this is a
great way to damage your discs (Stuart McGill is the researcher I"m
thinking of).

Is that research with the being moved in as in skiing, or being pushed
upwards? For sure, pushing up with the spine curved is risking injury,
but I hadn't heard of danger the other way.

Excuse me, I meant is this research with the force being directed
downwards, in the direction as in skiing (a chopping or pulling
movement), or with the force upwards?