Old November 22nd 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

Default What are the most basic needs for XC?

Things you need to have a good experience XC skiing:
(assumes little or no grooming, East coast kind of snow (ie; wettish)

The obvious things are;
skis
poles
boots
Clothing
Wipe on wax

Am I forgetting anything essential?

How about a positive attitude? I remember switching from running (where I
was a fairly elite racer in my local area) to skiing and being beaten by
teenage girls, old men, and nearly everyone in between until I learned how
much technique can make/break you. You have to stick with skiing for at
LEAST one season before you will be anywhere near competent. Then another
2-3 years to be as "fast" as you are when running.