Old November 8th 09, 08:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Alun Evans

Default fun things to try with your GPS

On Tue 06 Oct '09 at 18:21 Humsquirto wrote:

On a boring groomer day last year, I turned on my GPS, reset my track,
and did a speed run, just to see how fast I was going. My GPS (an old
Magellan Sport track) has a "maximum speed" indicator (I'm sure most
others do too), and when I got on the lift I saw that I maxed out at
72mph! I'm pretty sure the GPS speed indicator is accurate, as I
often compare it to my car speedometer, and it is always the same. I
was indeed hauling a$$, but was still totally in control, and felt I
could have pushed it a bit more (not too much though).

Not one to encourage dangerous behavour, but is something worth trying.

Stumbled on this :

http://www.aprs.net/vm/gps_cs.htm

From the ramblings on :

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/11...ash-Or-Does-It