Old January 30th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jgs

Default Blood volume?

Joe,
I was helped by - 'The Vein Institute of the North Shore, Dr. Tom
Dooley', north of Boston. I had, had two prior surgeries that were not
nearly as well thought out. The procedure I had done was a; greater
saphenous vein ligation. I planned mine to be done after ski season
and before the running, biking, hiking seasons. Down time was really
nothing and I when I got back to training I could hammer like never
before.
If you were going to go to LA, the North Shore guys might be able to
refer you to someone.
/john

On Jan 30, 10:34 am, "
wrote:
On Jan 30, 3:57 pm, "jgs" wrote:

Joe,
I had a very successful operation to rid myself of veins like you
describe. Recovery time is nearly nothing, on your feet in hours,
running within a week. The guy that did my leg was no cowboy, really
took his time, mapped the whole venous system and FIXED my leg.
I would be happy to tell you about it. I pump allot of blood through
my leg - I'm training for my first ultra - only dream prior to the
operation.
/johnHi John,

Thanks for the input. I have been on the waiting list for over a year
for just such an operation. I live in Norway, and I figure I should
get _something_ for my $8/gal gas, 25% sales tax, and huge income
tax! ;-)

That is good to know about the recovery time. That is something I have
not been able to get anyone to commit to. Obvioulsy it is rather
individual, but I assume the docs here are taking a conservative line
when they talk about recovery, as they have all sorts of folks to deal
with. But knowing a fit person such as yourself was running within a
week is very comforting.

I have been thinking about having the operation done on my own dime in
LA, combining with a visit to my family. But I wasn't sure about how
much I'd be out of commision, and how much of a burden it would be to
have me around for them. Sounds like it's not that big a deal.

Joseph

On Jan 26, 12:31 pm, wrote:

Hi All,

I have a very serious set of varicose veins in my calf, and I have
recently started using a tight support stocking occasionaly. I have not
used it while cycling or skiing, untli today. Today I went sking (both
classic and freestyle) and I felt like I was unstoppable. It was a
strange feeling. I do not recall ever being so on top of my game while
skiing before. It was a strange feeling.

I estimate I normally have 3-4 deciliters (or more) of blood sitting
pooled in these veins. Normally the blood just sits there and fluids
accumulate in my leg in a grotesque swelling manner. With these support
hose, the pooling is virtually non-existant. Is it possible that this
"extra" 3-4 dl circulating somehow improved my oxygen transport such
that I felt like da man today?

Joseph