Old March 10th 04, 12:23 PM
Ian Spare

Default OFF PISTE FOR BEGGINERS

Ace wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:07:58 +0000, Jim Hutton
wrote:

Austrian ski instructors are the best in the world IMHO.

How long ago did you form that opinion? In recent years I've heard
horror stories about some Austrian instructors still trying to teach
by numbers. e.g. 'adopt the ice position for this run'.

And you shared that opinion recently to some critical comment :-)

Austrian instructors are excellent. There's a segment of the UK market
who seem to be looking for some sort of shortcut to actually learning to
ski, for example, buying the newest ski every year or subscribing to
some bizzare methodology that involves some Californian sounding
mumbo-jumbo nonsense. What's the alternative ? Skiing around with your
legs bolted together waving your arms about ? :-) It's a pleasure to
watch Herman Maier skiing by numbers, I thought his run at St Anton a
few weeks ago was fantastic, just perfect skiing by numbers :-)

Ian