Old March 9th 04, 09:22 PM
Iain Miller

Default OFF PISTE FOR BEGGINERS

"k" wrote in message ...
I have never been on a skiing holiday and I am planning to go 23 March to
Kitzbuhel. I have been to the Snowdome near Birmingham for the day and
xscape, and seem to be picking it up quite quickly. Rough parallel level.

I have heard far ranging stories about skiing off piste from the good

(Great
fun, fresh clean powder snow, great to ski in) to the bad, (stories of
people skiing into rocks, and things they couldnt see under the snow).

I was thinking about giving it a go toward the end of the week, if I am
feeling more confident. Is there such a thing as begginers Off Piste?
Established off piste routes? or am I aiming too high?

I would appreciate the groups wisdom.

Aiming way too high IMHO....

Get some good tuition and concentrate on getting the basics right &
ingrained as habit. Tempting as it might be to go flying off around the
place on your own, like most things, if you do the groundwork properly you
will ultimately progress far faster and go much further than if you have to
"unlearn" all kinds of bad habits along the way.

Also bear in mind that you can get hurt skiing - you are less likely to do
so the better your basic technique is because you will have much more
control. Besides which, there's way too much fun to be had on-piste for the
time being to worry about going off-piste.

Also, as a beginner, when you get your skis/boots in the resort, of you can
find an experienced skier to help you select them it will pay
dividends....skiing is much easier with boots that fit properly, arn't too
loose or don't hurt and when you are on the right skis for your ability that
have been properly serviced. It is absolutely worth paying more to rent
better equipment - but you don't need the top end, just good stuff in good
order.

....and before you go, get as fit as you can - especially in the leg area.
Cycling, an exercise bike or an Eliptical trainer are all great for this.

HTH

I.

I.